Windows 11 (KB5021255, KB5021234) December 2022 Patch Tuesday update is now available
As it is the second Tuesday of the month, it’s time for patching all supported versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems. Being the last patch of the year, Microsoft now started rolling out the Windows 11 December 2022 Patch Tuesday update (KB5021255 and KB5021234) for the users running Windows 11 version 22H2, and Windows 11 version 21H2.
Windows 11 Patch Tuesday (KB5021255, KB5021234) update contains all fixes from the previous optional updates and also includes a few security fixes. To know more about the fixes in this build, and to download the Windows 11 KB5021255, KB5021234 update offline installer, continue reading further.
Windows 11 KB5021255, KB5021234 update – What’s new and improved
This version adds many security enhancements to the internal workings of the OS. There were no other issues reported for this release. Only the new updates included in this bundle will be downloaded and installed on your device if you have already done so.
Additionally, the following bugs and enhancements that were a part of the prior optional preview update are addressed by the Windows 11 KB5021255, KB5021234 update:
- New! It gives Microsoft OneDrive subscribers storage alerts on the Systems page in the Settings app. The alerts appear when you are close to your storage limit. You can also manage your storage and purchase additional storage, if needed.
- New! It provides the full amount of the storage capacity of all your OneDrive subscriptions. It also displays the total storage on the Accounts page in the Settings app.
- New! It combines Windows Spotlight with Themes on the Personalization page. This makes it easier for you to discover and turn on the Windows Spotlight feature.
- New! It adds a new mobile device management (MDM) policy for organizational messages. It gives your company the option to enroll tenant devices so that they receive custom messages from you. For example, you can use Intune to write the messages. They will render within Windows.
- It addresses an issue that affects some modern applications. It stops them from opening.
- It addresses an issue that affects some devices that are managed by an enterprise. We improve the reliability of app installations for them.
- It addresses the suspension of daylight saving time (DST) in the Republic of Fiji for this year.
- It addresses an issue that affects Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) authentication hardening. We will automatically raise the authentication level for all non-anonymous activation requests from DCOM clients to RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_PKT_INTEGRITY. This occurs if the authentication level is below Packet Integrity.
- It addresses an issue that affects Unified Update Platform (UUP) on-premises customers. It removes the block that stops them from getting offline language packs.
- It addresses an issue that affects process creation. It fails to create security audits for it and other related audit events.
- It addresses an issue that affects cluster name objects (CNO) or virtual computer objects (VCO). Password reset fails. The error message is, ” There was an error resetting the AD password… // 0x80070005”.
- It addresses an issue that affects transparency in layered windows. This occurs when you are in High Definition remote applications integrated locally (RAIL) mode.
- It addresses a known issue that affects the Input Method Editor (IME). Certain applications might stop responding. This occurs when you use keyboard shortcuts to change the input mode of the IME.
- It addresses an issue that affects microphone streams that use the Listen To feature to route to the speaker endpoint. The microphone stops working after you restart the device.
- It addresses an issue that might affect applications that run on the Windows Lock Down Policy (WLDP). They might stop working.
- It addresses an issue that affects Microsoft Defender when it is not the primary antivirus. Microsoft Defender fails to turn off passive mode. This issue occurs when you turn off Smart App Control (SAC).
- It adds .wcx to the list of Dangerous Extensions that some app control policies do not allow.
- It addresses an issue that affects Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Automated investigation blocks live response investigations.
- It addresses an issue that affects printing in landscape mode in Microsoft Edge. The print output is incorrect. This issue occurs when you use Microsoft Defender Application Guard.
- It addresses an issue that causes File Explorer to stop working. This occurs when you close context menus and menu items.
- It addresses an issue that might cause certain apps to stop responding. This occurs when you use the Open File dialog.
- It addresses an issue that sometimes affects File Explorer when you open a file. Because of this, there is high CPU usage.
- It addresses an issue that affects protocol activation of the Settings app. The app fails to open a page under the Accounts category.
- It addresses an issue that affects a computer account. Use of non-standard characters can stop the cleanup of the Out of Box Experience (OOBE) accounts.
- It addresses an issue that affects the CopyFile function. It might sometimes return error 317: ERROR_MR_MID_NOT_FOUND.
- It addresses an issue that affects the Windows Firewall service. It does not start when you turn on the Override block rules option.
- It addresses an issue that affects some games and applications. This issue is related to GPU performance debugging features. This lowers the expected game performance.
- It addresses an issue that affects cumulative update installations. They fail, and the error code is 0x800f0806.
How to download Windows 11 KB5021255, KB5021234 update (offline installer)
If your Windows Update service is enabled, you should have received this update notification. If not, open the Windows 11 Settings app, navigate to Windows Update and click the “Check for Updates” button.
If you own multiple Windows 11 devices or if you would like to patch the systems manually, you can download the offline installer by clicking here for KB5021255 update and clicking here for KB5021234 update. This is an official direct download link for Windows 11 KB5021255/KB5021234 update.