“Within FoodBytes! we strive to identify technologies and innovation that we believe can innovate and positively shape the food system for the future – even more than the specific companies themselves,” Anne Greven, global head of startup innovation at Rabobank and FoodBytes! told FoodNavigator-USA.
This year, that includes startups from around the world that are “innovating on the forefront of sustainable supply chains, improved resource management and the next frontier of nutrition, based on insights from our members,” she explained.
“As we look collectively at our final 15, we’re seeing an obvious uptick in those that are addressing real environmental concerns, in various ways across the entire food system,” she added. “Specifically, plastic and material alternatives on both the macro and micro level [Cruz Foam, Great Wrap and Papkot], continued innovation in plant-based meat alternatives [Fable Food and Plantcraft], and agricultural technology solutions to revolutionize the industry [SBM-TranspiratiONal and 3Bar Biologics Inc.].”
But it isn’t enough to offer novel solutions to pressing challenges, the startups that make it through FoodBytes! rigorous review process, which includes a video pitch review and detailed scoring process by internal experts and corporate Rabobank members, also must offer solutions that are scalable, Greven said.
“These startups are bringing new products and technologies to the market in unique ways, and each of them have shown traction that validates the larger scale impact they could have on the food system,” she explained.
More than a pitch competition
While the 15 finalists will be the star attraction at the Nov. 10 FoodBytes! Pitch, the virtual livestream will also feature two panel discussions addressing industry pain points and opportunities.
The first will analyze the evolution of the $60bn global sugar market to better support the health of people and the planet.
The second will examine solutions across the value chain that attempt to mitigate climate challenges facing the agricultural industry.
For more information on FoodBytes! Pitch 2021, or to purchase tickets to view, visit https://www.foodbytesworld.com/events/. In addition, the FoodBytes! team encourages startups interested in participating in future pitch competitions or the larger community can email [email protected] to start a conversation.
The top 15 FoodBytes! Pitch finalists across CPG, food-tech and AgTech are …
- AYO Foods: A brand offering frozen meals and hot sauces that celebrate the flavors and ingredients of West Africa.
- Fable Food: Leveraging the power of Shiitake mushrooms to create an all atural plant-based meat alternative, Fable Food is on a mission to help end industrial animal agriculture.
- Great Wrap: Working out of its solar powered factory in Australia, Great Wrap aims to put plastic out of business by offering home compostable cling wrap from food waste.
- Lil Mixins: Recommend by more than 4,000 pediatricians and allergists, Lil Mixins is stopping food allergies before they start by offering properly sized servings of top food allergens to babies.
- Plantcraft: A clean-label, plant-based deli meat company that is offering plant-curious consumers delicious products to use n a wide range of dishes, from sandwiches to pepperoni pizza. Plantcraft’s products are clean-label, vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free and free of all top 8 allergens.
- Cruz Foam: A bio-material technology company that makes certified compostable, protective packaging foam and other eco-friendly alternatives to petroleum-based products.
- Galley Solutions, Inc.: By taking the guesswork out of food production, sourcing and inventory tracking, Galley helps foodservice operators save oncosts, reduce waste and focus on what they love.
- Marble Technologies: By using AI, robotics and process engineering, Marble Technologies is automating tasks to mitigate industry-wide labor shortages starting with beef and pork processing.
- Papkot: A science and material innovation company offering cost-effective paper packaging that can replace plastic options.
- Paragon Pure: An ingredient company focused on natural flavors, colors and nutrients.
- 3Bar Biologics Inc.: Using proprietary biomanufacturing and delivery methods that “unleash” the potential for microbe technology, 3Bar Biologics focuses on improving farm yield, profitability and sustainability.
- AgriDigital: By combining inventory, data and finance, AgriDitial is building the technology and financing infrastructure for a digital grain supply chain.
- BioLevel: On a mission to re-balance agriculture, BioLevel offers soil microbial products that don’t require refrigeration and scalable across sectors, regulatory environments and application methods.
- SBM-TranspiratiONal: With an environmentally-friendly, sprayable biodegradable polymer membrane product, SMB-TransipiratiONal helps farmers produce more with less.
- Vytelle: A precision livestock company helping cattle producers optimize their herds by managing mating and reproduction decisions.